Harie is a small residential village. To walk in the village and see water springs, you are required to join in a guided walking tour by the residents. Advance booking is also required for the tour. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Visit private homes of local people in Harie and see "kabata"
- Interpretation from villagers about kabata and their lifestyle
- Idyllic atmosphere of Harie village and around
- Taste sake at Kawashima-Shuzo (sake brewery)
- See traditional sensu-making by artisans at the atelier of Suita Sensu
- Magnificent view of Biwa-ko and mountains from the train window
The tour starts from JR Kyoto Station at 8:40 am (9:00 am at weekends and national holidays) and takes the JR Kosei line to Shin-asahi Station in the Takashima area, northwest of Lake Biwa. On most parts of 45 minutes' train ride, you can enjoy magnificent views of Lake Biwa and ranges of Mt. Hiei and Mt. Hira from the window.
Upon leaving Shin-asahi Station, we walk through rice fields and vegetable fields to Harie "Shozunosato (village of living water)". This small village has become noted in recent years for its unique lifestyle: each home has its own crystal-clear water spring called "kabata" which is used as both well and kitchen sink. We here join the 1.5 hrs neighbourhood walking tour guided by villagers to see kabata in private homes. Some local shops, temples and roadside springs are also visited. Experience their lifestyle respecting the blessings of nature with ever-flowing spring water.
After lunch at a local Japanese restaurant, we make our way to a 150-year-old sake brewery, Kawashima Shuzo. You will go behind the scenes and learn from the brewers how they make award-winning sake using locally-grown rice and pure spring water. After seeing the brewery, sake tasting waits for you!
The tour then heads south to Adogawa town by taxi. Here we drop at Suita Sensu, a traditional Japanese folding fan atelier ("sensu" in Japanese means a folding fan). Takashima area, where both Harie and Adogawa are located, is the country's largest production center of fan-bones (90% of domestic sensu products). We see some parts of sensu-making process with a brief explanation by artisans. After a 10-minute walk to Adogawa Station and following 40-minute ride on a JR train, the tour ends up at Kyoto Station at around 5:00 pm.
JR Kyoto Station (Departure)
JR Shin-Asahi Station
- Walking tour around Harie village guided by local people (about 1 hour)
- Kawashima Shuzo
JR Adogawa Station
JR Kyoto Station (Return)
- English-speaking tour conductor (licensed guide interpreter)
- Admission fee for guided walking tour in Harie
- Fare for all transportation listed above
- Local tax
Tour does NOT include
- Lunch (Please take whatever you would like at the lunch venue)
- If you stay in Shiga Prefecture, our departure and return point may be changed into a more convenient place.
- To secure a seat for the neighbourhood walking tour in Harie, early booking is recommended.
- The neighbourhood walking tour may be held in a group with other individuals/groups.
- On this tour we will walk 4-5 kilometers in total.
- Be sure to be prepared for all weather conditions depending on the season. It often snows in winter and the sunlight is usually blazing in summer. (During the neighbourhood walking tour, you can drink fresh water from ubiquitous kabata!)
- Seats in public transportations are not guaranteed.
- Itinerary may change without earlier notice due to weather and transport conditions or any unforeseen circumstance(s).
Price (per person):
|No. of person(s)
Children under 5 are free of charge and not included in guest count.
- ¥2,000pp off for adults with a valid JR pass
- ¥2,000pp/¥1,000pp off for children aged 6-11 with/without a valid JR pass
Every day except for Monday and year-end & new year holidays
Minimum 1 / Maximum 10
English (and of course Japanese)
8:35 am (Tue-Fri)
9:00 am (Sat, Sun, and National holidays)
JR Kyoto Station (Next to the JR Information desk in the central concourse) » MAP
Your tour conductor with a YUtour's logo card hung from his neck will be waiting to greet you.
5:00 pm approx.